Friday 20 August 2010

Pastel love....

I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to colour and I have a growing collection of  pastels. I love opening a box of them to look at the scrummy sticks of perfect pigments..... bliss. This is a medium that I seem to be using more and more of lately. I love that it forces me to think more about the mark making and not just about colour/tonal relationships, composition etc. Below are two versions from the same sketch that I did out in the New Forest, an experiment in colour and mood. I love silver birch for their colour and texture, it's a subject that I keep coming back to.


Through the Forest
pastel on paper 14x19cm 



Forest Cool
pastel on paper 14x19cm



If you enjoy pastels I'd recommend taking a look at loriann's blog, she posts every day, is very generous with sharing her techniques and her work is simply stunning.

1 comment:

loriann signori said...

Hi Lisa! Welcome to blogging and pastel. Just seeing those luscious colors is pretty amazing, don't you think?
You are right mark making is very important in pastel. Very similar to brushstrokes in oil.
Thank you for the mention...I am honored!
i will be back... cheers, loriann