I thought I'd share my grab and go sketch kit for anyone interested. This is what I take at the moment although it's always a work in progress (*note to self add a white oil pastel). Depending on where I'm going I will normally have all or part of this with me, if I'm going out to specifically sketch for a day or half day there's a whole lot more that fits snugly into a rucksack, weighs a ton and has enough materials in to last a week. This is the pared down version that's a lot more portable and for now, works for me.
- Small watercolour moleskine sketchbook (moleskine is a new one for me but I was seduced by the tiny size and so far so good)
- Winsor Newton Cotman mini plus watercolour box with my own artists quality paint - naples yellow, gamboge genuine, quinacridone gold, burnt sienna, thio violet (which I bought by mistake but quite like), manganese blue, indanthrene blue and sepia
- small and medium pental waterbrush pens
- 4 caran d'ache watercolour pencils in ochre, hazel, umber and burnt sienna
- a disposable propelling pencil
- my special ladybird pencil sharpener - just because it's silly, fun and leaves no mess behind ;o) It's also a bit of a conversation starter when people are watching.
When I was deciding on the colours for the paintbox I made a chart and colour no. 8 I couldn't decide on for ages but I think sepia is such a useful colour that it'll probably be the one to get used up first. Apologies for the fuzziness of the photo of the chart but it's really tiny and was hard to focus.
I'd love to know what other people take out sketching.