Tuesday 22 May 2012

Watercolour observational studies

Watercolour studies shell, sand dollar & urchin ©2012 Lisa Le Quelenec

Time is racing towards exhibitions now and there is a lot of framing to be done and sorting out of what is going where. In between waiting for frames to dry (I white wash wooden frames to suit the picture) I painted these small watercolour studies. It was lovely to sit under the shade of the apple tree listening to the birds and to have a bit of time out of the studio.


Watercolour studies grey feathers ©2012 Lisa Le Quelenec
I really enjoy making these small observational studies. It's nice to slow down looking at details and really getting to know the subject. The patterns and textures of the urchins and sand dollar are just beautiful. I'm hoping to fit in some more in between the big framing day that awaits me tomorrow. Fingers crossed.


10 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

Working into texture is one of life's pleasures. You see things you never believed were there. And these studies are beautiful.

Good luck with the exhibitions, its a crazy time of year.

RH Carpenter said...

These are all so beautiful - elegant in their simplicity :) Good luck with the shows!

Anonymous said...

Just fabulous, Lisa!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Jeanette, It's lovely to lose myself in details for a while. It feels so zen :o)

Thank you Rhonda. The first show is hung on the 7th June and there is soooo much to do.

Hi Maggie, many thanks.

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi there Lisa!... Very nice delicate studies! I like them all!!!

Sometimes doing small things expands our creative horizons and thinking just as much as large projects!

Good luck with the framing and your upcoming exhibition schedule!

Good Painting and Framing!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

PS I have also been enjoying doing my commission work in the shade of an apple tree... watching the River flow by between strokes!Time just melts away!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Bruce, thank you. You have such a slice of paradise yourself where you are. It looks full of inspiration.

How lucky we are for the apple trees. The one in our garden was the clincher for us moving to this house.It provides such welcome shade to work under.

Best wishes.

Paul Coventry-Brown said...

Hey Lisa

I love feathers and I think they look great in your watercolour studies. It's given me an idea ... so thanks for that ;-)
The sand dunes and shadows are lovely and remind me of my trips to Southport as a kid.

Cheers,
The Unashamed Plagiarist :-)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Well hello there Mr Unashamed Plagiarist, thank you :o) I hope to see some feather paintings from you soon. They should come with a warning though it's all too easy to get obsessed painting them.

JANE MINTER said...

these studies are delightful lisa ..all the best with your exhibition

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Jane, thank you. It always feels like a race to the finish however much preparation that you do.