Thursday 8 August 2013

Sketchbook page




Sketchbook page   watercolour and ink   ©2013Lisa Le Quelenec




The pattern on this little piece of sea worn china has been fascinating me. The cracks in the glaze and the way that the colour has slowly faded and worn away is so beautiful to my eye. I enjoy looking for these little found abstracts that, to me, have so much history and meaning. I wonder at what kind of vessel this piece came from and who made it and used it and how?  For what purpose? How did it end up in the sea and how far and for how long did it travel? I found it, put it in my pocket and then it traveled over the sea this time to end up on my desk reminding me of a walk at the beach, time spent with my family. My sister is an archaeologist and researches the answers to these kinds of questions for the things that she digs up from the earth....... these thoughts must run in the family.


(Apologies for the orientation of the picture - gremlins have turned it landscape instead of portrait again.)

5 comments:

Helen K. Beacham Fine Art said...

Lovely post! It involves all the senses (ok, ALMOST all of them!) Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

Lorraine Brown said...

I love your documentation of this little find Lisa, and seeing your colour thoughts

RH Carpenter said...

Lisa, your post photo is a work of art - the placement of the shard, the writing and dabs of paint, the doodles mimicking the cracks on the shard - beautiful! Made me think more about all the odds and ends I'm finding in my grandmother's house - perhaps I should take some time and think more about the history of these small things she kept around.

Bruce Sherman said...

Good morning Lisa!... We share... as your post content... discoveries and experiments demonstrate... that "Art" lies all around us and can come to your usage... if you travel with your eyes and mind open to "seeing."

I love the results of your "play"... much promise for certain! Good luck with it!

Good Painting... and Exploring!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Helen, thank you.

Thank you Lorraine, I love these little treasures.

Hi Rhonda, thank you. It's hard to go through a loved ones possessions, there feels like a lot of pressure to do it quickly. Take your time and bit by bit you will get there. Sometimes it's the silly things that remind us of the person the most. I wish I had the stick my nan used to hook the washing over in her old twin tub washing machine. It had gotten very short over the years with use and was blue/white from the washing powder. She used to waggle it at us kids (good naturedly) if we got up to mischief. I hope that you are enjoying seeing the reminders of the good times and all the happy memories.

Hi Bruce thank you. I find inspiration in the smallest objects as well as the biggest views.