Thursday 2 February 2017

Birch tree monoprints and mixed media with a dash of freezing fog


A few days of thick freezing fog the other week has inspired a different avenue to explore. I don't ever remember seeing such thick and persistant freezing fog before. It has caused quite a bit of disruption to travel but has had an element of surprising beauty to it. The little one was fascinated by the 'crunchy' sparkles on the spider webs on the way to preschool. Simple looming silhouettes and subtle greys have inspired a very different feel to the series.



seasidestudiosblog.blogspot.com
A Progression of monoprints and monoprint mixed media pieces - Birch Study I & II ( last two images) ©2017LisaLeQuelenec


The two mixed media pieces at the bottom have been made by using ghost prints. (a second print made from the printing plate from which a print has already been taken. Due to there being only residual ink left on the printing plate the second print is much more subtle.) As you can see from these two I was lucky enough to get two ghost prints the one on the right was the first to be taken.

I often prefer the ghost prints as I like the subtlety and delicate textures and they are often interesting to work into with other media. I think my next stage may be to take scans of these two and then play digitally with them and see what happens. 'Birch Study I & II' are available as reproductions at Redbubble here.

4 comments:

R's Rue said...

Great.

Chris Lally said...

"Simple looming silhouettes and subtle greys..." - beautiful description, beautiful series!

Sherrie York said...

Lovely, Lisa! I always struggle with subtle palettes like this and you nailed it.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Regine, thank you and welcome.

Thanks Chris, it makes a change to visit the forest. I am having fun.

Why thank you Sherrie!