Wednesday 1 March 2017

Gathering storm sketchbook pages


Storms Doris and Ewan whilst wet and windy passed us by in February without too much damage down here. I don't think they were quite so lucky further north unfortunately.

The following are a couple of sketchbook snippets from the wild weather last week playing with tone and markmaking which seems to be a theme developing in my work recently. I am working on finishing a rather large project which is occupying rather a lot of time at the moment and so sketchbook work has been a little distraction whilst taking a break.



Sketchbook snippet - across the marsh   watercolour 12x12cm approx   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec





February storm   watercolour in a6 sketchbook   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec

3 comments:

Chris Lally said...

What a blessing that the full impact of the storms missed you.

Happy you're working on a big project, but it's so nice you had time to post your lovely watercolors! And the textures from those objects are just awesome, Lisa.

For me, who doesn't live by the sea, Seaside Studios is such a treat!! But, then, it would be a treat even if I did live by the sea.

RH Carpenter said...

Lovely sketches and what wonderful finds you have added. What brand sketchbook are you using?

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Chris you are so kind. I hope you enjoy the photos from todays post - this is from one of my favourite beaches.


Hi Rhonda, the sketchbooks that I use for everyday are Seawhite's Travel Journals. The paper is 130gsm medium texture. They hold up well to light watercolour wash, pen, etc I use the A5 and A6 for taking out and about. Those are what I have used here.

I use a Seawhite A4 spiral in the studio. I also love the Stillman and Birn Zeta heavyweight paper for drawing in the studio as they can take a beating with the tough paper.