Thursday 23 November 2017

Back to the drawing board...gull sketchbook pages


When in doubt go back to basics.... something that has helped me many times over the years. The act of drawing with no end in mind can help me push a project through, consolidate ideas or suggest new avenues to explore. I think what these sketches are telling me and the recent experiments and prints is that I need to step away for a while and stop thinking about it. Then later, there will be time to re-evaluate and percolate the ideas. I think I will spend some more time re-reading the poem that was the original inspiration as well. For now the gulls can rest as I begin the wind down to the holidays and the exciting job of planning for next years adventures.




Gull sketchbook pages  ©2017LisaLeQuelenec



5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Ah, you and I are on the same page - we are both returning to the beginning and going back to basics to gain some freshening of our art spirits :) Have a great view back and then share what you bring forward, because I always admire and love your work :)

Judy said...

Good to go back to basics sometimes. These drawings are super, I love the exploration of the details!

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Lisa!... Gulls circling on high
Soaring.
Artist firmly grounded searching heavenward
Mind and pencil
rapidly exploring.

Your sketching evokes vivid notions and possibilities... already!
Good luck!

Warmest regards,
Bruce

Debbie Nolan said...

Yes Lisa - sometimes just drawing helps one settle on where they do want to go. I know I relax when I just draw and don't have to concern myself with painting. Hope you have a lovely weekend. I think your gull sketches are wonderful. Especially love the bottom right one. Take care friend.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Rhonda, thank you so much for that. I think I use my sketchbooks the most during Winter when the light is so dreary and dampening the spirits and then again in Summer when out and about sketching. I'm definitely in need of some sunshine at the moment and it's only December! Eeek what will I be like in February my most hated month? Hibernating with books and sketching is the way to go I think with lots of coffee ;o)

Hi Judy, thank you. I have been loving your pigeons, you are really capturing their characters. It must be something about the colder months that we start watching the birds more perhaps?

Hi Bruce, thank you for the luck. I think I need it at the moment I feel like I have come to a standstill on this project. Time to step away for a bit I think.

Hello Debbie, I agree there is a lovely freedom in drawing isn't there. If only it was easier to transfer that feeling into other media eh ;o) ....one day I will get there....