Sunday 12 August 2018

Beach treasures etchings and process



Sketches and preliminary sketchbook work for the Beach Treasures etching ©2018LisaLeQuelenec

I had begun to plan my most ambitious etching project to date some time ago. As always it started in my sketchbook and was a kind of continuation of the watercolour beach treasures collections to begin with I wasn't sure if the compositions were going to be in watercolour or print. I had even gotten as far as thinking about colour when I decided to go the etching route.



Concept sketch for Beach Treasures etching plates ©2018LisaLeQuelenec


Refining the shapes and drawing for each plate took some time as I wanted to get the spacing and balance perfect for each individual plate and for it to work just as well as a triptych. Once that was done I was ready to make the plates and could easily transfer each outline onto the prepared zinc. Carefully I added in the hatching to render the form of the objects. There is a lovely parallel between the hardness of the shells and pebbles and the delicate marks they have and recreating it on a hard metal plate.

Once completed the plates are bathed in acid for the drawing to be eaten away giving a 'tooth' for the ink to settle in and imprint on the paper. After carefully cleaning away the rest of the ground (the substance used as a barrier to keep the acid from eating away at the metal where you don't want a mark) the plate is ready for inking.



The plates all ready for printing - Beach treasures ©2018LisaLeQueleenc


I have proofed the plates individually (made test prints) in both black and blue/black ink and am happy with the results. It really does pay for me to spend time in the preparation before starting the plate making.

The proof prints are both available mounted as you can see here at Seaside Studios UK on Etsy. Prints of individual plates are available on both Etsy and in my Folksy store.



Beach treasures I, II & III   original etchings, first artists proof prints mounted to 30x50cm   ©2018LisaLeQuelenec




Beach treasures I, II & III   original etchings, second artists proof prints mounted to 30x50cm   ©2018LisaLeQuelenec




Beach Treasures I, II & III   etchings 6.5x13.5cm   ©2018LisaLeQuelenec

5 comments:

Judy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And I loved reading about the whole process!

Chris Lally said...

What an interesting process, Lisa. Lots of patience, ...and skill!! Your treasures are looking GOOD!

RH Carpenter said...

Thanks so much for sharing the process, Lisa. I knew it was a time-consuming and delicate process but had no idea! Wonderful stuff, as always. Your beach finds are constantly thrilling and peaceful at the same time (not sure how you manage that, but you do).

Debbie Nolan said...

Lisa these etchings are so beautiful. I am not familiar with how etchings are done. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on printmaking. Hope you are enjoying a blessed day. Hugs!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Judy, thank you :o)

Hi Chris your comment made me chuckle because...erm....I'm really not very patient..nice of you to think so though - thank you :o)

Thank you Rhonda, I really enjoy working process. One of the best bits is the beach combing there is endless inspiration.

Thank you Debbie - best wishes.