Thursday 9 December 2010

More reflecting on the river....

Reeds and reflections from my sketchbook in both watercolour (top) and acrylic (below). The acrylic is quite richly textured which was difficult to capture in a photo.The more I experiment the more I think I could possibly be leaning to a more mixed media approach. (of course this might just be because I'm enjoying playing with different materials so much - does it count as work when it's so much fun?)
The blue flashes were a tribute to the beautiful kingfisher that I saw last month but haven't seen since. He/she brought to mind the title of a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins 'As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame'. Not because of the meaning of the poem, just the mental images that it gives me. (although I do enjoy the rhythms of his work) Turquoise, copper, rusty browns are one of my favourite colour combinations.
The sun has been shining today and the temp is above freezing - yay!

2 comments:

daviddrawsandpaints said...

The blue kingfisher flashes look great against the orange and brown rushes.
And yes, I believe artwork is first and foremost great fun even if sometimes it is very hard work. That's why I do it :o)
All our snow is just about gone now, but on the upside, we've had visits to our birdtable from a pair of Reed Buntings. Quite unusual.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you David, I'm just hoping I see the kingfisher again soon. You're right, most of the time it is hard work but right now the pressure is off for me for a while so I'm having the most incredible fun experimenting.

I hope Scotland dries out for you soon, soggy wellies are no fun at all.