Monday 7 March 2011

Update on the still life project...monoprinting



This was my starting point, a collage, watercolour and pencil version of the first still life painting. The section in the top left and the central section in the right column are pieces of gift wrap. I wanted to change the palette and after having fun in photoshop I decided to use the colours from one of those versions, which I'd printed out and decided to use as a guide for a monoprint.


There is an explanation of the printing process using Caran D'Ache Neocolor II that I used here . On the right is the printing plate. I liked the spicy change of palette and felt that I would get quite a different feel to the image. I was also looking forward to seeing the composition reversed.
 
I was lucky enough to get two impressions from the plate. Although the second one was quite a lot fainter and less defined I thought it would be interesting to work back into.
 
 
 
This is the first impression after I'd worked back into it with watercolour pencils, and Derwent Inktense. I didn't like the way the dark green/blue that runs from the centre to the right was dominating so I decided to cut away that section using a mixture of torn and cut edges and replace it with brown parcel wrapping paper that I could draw back into. Using acrylic medium as an adhesive I mounted it onto a piece of self adhesive mount board that had a buff coloured handmade paper attached.


More coloured pencil and watercolour wash followed. There's still lots that can be done but as a way of generating ideas and as a process to experiment with it is interesting.

4 comments:

vivien said...

interesting experiments going on here :>)

Isn't it fun just to go for it like this?

loriann signori said...

Yes, interesting experiments. It's fascinating to see the endless variations.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Vivien, this is so much fun! It's nice to have a background project going on where I don't feel so pressured about the outcome. It has given a focus for the experiments which I'm finding in subtle ways are influencing my usual paintings. My palette is slowly evolving at the moment in unexpected ways. Have you tried neocolor monoprinting yet?

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Loriann, I'm glad you find it interesting. I'm starting to see why Morandi could paint the same vessels in his still life so many times, it's getting addictive. After having a still life block for so long it's been a real eye opener.