This was my starting point, a collage, watercolour and pencil version of the first still life painting. The section in the top left and the central section in the right column are pieces of gift wrap. I wanted to change the palette and after having fun in photoshop I decided to use the colours from one of those versions, which I'd printed out and decided to use as a guide for a monoprint.
There is an explanation of the printing process using Caran D'Ache Neocolor II that I used here . On the right is the printing plate. I liked the spicy change of palette and felt that I would get quite a different feel to the image. I was also looking forward to seeing the composition reversed.
I was lucky enough to get two impressions from the plate. Although the second one was quite a lot fainter and less defined I thought it would be interesting to work back into.
This is the first impression after I'd worked back into it with watercolour pencils, and Derwent Inktense. I didn't like the way the dark green/blue that runs from the centre to the right was dominating so I decided to cut away that section using a mixture of torn and cut edges and replace it with brown parcel wrapping paper that I could draw back into. Using acrylic medium as an adhesive I mounted it onto a piece of self adhesive mount board that had a buff coloured handmade paper attached.
More coloured pencil and watercolour wash followed. There's still lots that can be done but as a way of generating ideas and as a process to experiment with it is interesting.