Wednesday 24 August 2011

Summer stroll

On the left is a grey scale of where I had got to at the end of the demonstration at the Red House Museum. I felt that the contrast was little too harsh for my intended feeling of  a warm and mellow summer's evening. The sky was just too bright and needed to be a softer glow.

Taking a photo and converting it into grey scale can be really useful for looking at a painting with 'fresh eyes'. Reversing it, inverting colours, just the change of scale onto a computer screen can all help. Sometimes it's just fun to play with stretching and cropping which can suggest further avenues for exploration in a series.

 After many more layers of scumbling and glazing the light has been softened. The dark shadow under the breaking wave isn't as hard and it feels much closer to the mood that I was trying to capture. Using colours that I really wouldn't normally use has taken me outside my comfort zone and has been very interesting. It's something I will definitely do more of. 




Summer Stroll
acrylic on board 44x47.5cm
©2011 Lisa Le Quelenec

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I love it! I liked it a lot before, but think it has real depth and a rich glow now. Thanks for posting the grey scale pics.....I do this often too and it really helps to see how close the tonal range is. Yes...you must do more.....

Unknown said...

Beautiful glow from those warm colours. I really like the palette you chose for this, Lisa.

Judy said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I think you make amazing paintings and this one is beautiful! Great idea, this grey scale pictures!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Maggie, thank you. I've been reading your colour posts with great interest. Today you've inspired me to revisit some old sketchbooks with colour recipes in. I'll post about them soon.

Hi Michael, thank you.

Hello Judy, thank you very much :o) The grey scales can be a big help for me when I know something isn't right but am not sure what the something is. I'll be back to look at your lovely watercolours soon.

Caroline Simmill said...

Hi Lisa, you have captured the mood of the early evening very well with the beautiful colours you are using. The grey scale is helpful to see too. Lovely work.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Caroline, thank you.