Friday 20 January 2012

Inside/Outside - a study

Inside/Outside a study
mixed media 36x56cm
©2012 Lisa Le Quelenec
The theme for critique for this months art group was 'Inside/Outside'. I love the shapes of broken shells and the contrast in textures between the rougher ridged outer and the silky smooth inner of this whelk is beautiful. I thought I would expand on the recent coloured pencil study that I have done. I've misplaced the original shell and so used a different one that I picked up on St. Aubins beach in Jersey on Boxing Day. I came back with a small bag of treasure from that walk - lots of possible starting points for new paintings....

It started as a pencil line drawing on a slightly textured handmade paper that I've glued down onto mount board. It took on a life of it's own.... with acrylic, ink and coloured pencil. In between layers there are even small scratchy marks of silver ink that follow the ridges of the outer surface of the shell. These marks are partially covered over but here and there they poke through and catch the light. There are many layers of each of the materials and the surface has a weathered looking patina that draws parallels with the sea beaten surface of the shell.



detail
detail



10 comments:

Lydie said...

The texture and colors are great. I love it. There's the same shells on the beach in front of Jersey (I can see the island from the coast when I walk along the coastal footpath). Jersey is close to home as the crow flies.

Judy said...

Amazing all those techniques! Beautiful result!

RH Carpenter said...

This definitely looks like a treasure found on a beach - really beautiful and I bet the silver showing through really adds more dimension - and sparkle :)

Jennifer Barnes said...

OUTSTANDING!!!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Its a beauty and looks as if I could reach out and pick it up. Lovely.

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Lisa!... Though simple and direct in composition... your treatment of colour and form is well handled. You have captured that opalescent quality of this shell... and your shifts in colour and value... are flawlessly executed!

Simply... a beautiful seaside "gem"!

Good Painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Caroline Simmill said...

Lovely work Lisa, the shell shines so well on the light area that it almost looks like porcelin.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Lydie, thank you. Next time I'm in Jersey I will wave across the sea to you. When I was little my dad would tell me to take my passport to the beach with me as the tide was out and we might be able to walk to France. It really does look that close some days.

Hi Judy, thank you. Sometimes it's fun to mix the techniques up a little :o)

Hi Rhonda, I hope you are feeling better soon. Thank you about the painting. The silver is mostly covered over but at an angle little bits peek out and sparkle through.

Thank you very much Jennifer!

Hi Jeanette, thank you.

Hello Bruce, thank you. I seem to be unable to comment or read comments on your blog at the moment. I think it is a blogger issue as it has happened on a couple of other blogs too and other people are experiancing it. I have been reading though and enjoying your work.

Hi Caroline, I've had the same problem with your blog as I have had with Bruce's. Your viridian painting I thought was just lovely. It's such a difficult colour to control but it looked easy in your hands. Thank you about the study, the bit that you describe is my favourite part of the shell. It's an amazing contrast of silky smooth compared to the rougher outside.

loriann signori said...

hi Lisa, i am so glad that you added the detailed peeks! what yummy color!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hello Loriann, thanks. So many colours went into making it.