Saturday 21 October 2017

Gulls 1


Gulls have featured in my work for a number of years now. I discovered a poem by Neruda a while back and some of the imagery in the piece has stayed with me. It has sparked ideas to explore which are turning into a series of works in a variety of media.

I feel like a gull circling in the sky getting closer but not quite hitting the mark just yet. I have started with some monoprints with Neruda's words in my mind. Using an inked plate and removing ink, applying masks and also making marks in the ink before running through the press.


Flying Free   monoprint and mixed media   ©2017LisaLeQuelenec



Some I made ghost prints with (running the plate with ink depleted from the first pass through the press for a second time). I likes the subtleties of a couple and so have left those untouched. Other ghost prints weren't strong enough to stand on their own so I have worked into those with other media. Others have been photocopied, scanned and digitally manipulated and exist only as digital prints. We are fortunate to live in an age where so many opportunities and methods of experimentation are open to us and I like to exploit as many as I can on occasion.I'm not sure where I am going with these still.....I'll see where the breeze takes me.



Gulls   ghost monoprint and mixed media   ©2017Lisa Le Quelenec



A translation of the poem that inspired this work can be read here



6 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

That top print is beautiful. Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination, that's the most fun (and frustrating - but well worth the effort!). The link didn't work for me - took me to an error page.

Chris Lally said...

More gorgeousness from Seaside Studios! I can feel the wind in my hair and hear the distant caws of the gulls.
Can't wait to see more in this wonderful series, Lisa.
(The link didn't work for me either...)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you for the heads up ladies, I'm not sure what happened there it should be working now.

You are so right Rhonda, the journey is always good. I feel like something is tantilisingly just out of reach like it's in my peripheral vision. It needs time to come into focus I think. I will keep skipping along the path.....

Thank you Chris, I hope your move has gone/is going well and hasn't been/isn't being too stressful.

Judy said...

Your seagull scenes are beautiful. I love your blues, so ethereal!

Bruce Sherman said...

Good morning Lisa!... These monoprints visually prove... beyond a doubt that a path or journey may be revisited. And in each visit... new and valuable insights are gained.

The two ghosts leave my heart... free... and soaring! Bravo! Keep on skipping...

Blessings and Good Print making!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Judy - best wishes.

Thank you Bruce. I am skipping in circles still. Something, I know not what, is still just out of my grasp. Maybe I am edging closer - maybe not. We will see. The view is lovely though :o)