Wednesday 4 December 2019

So I tried.......but I failed.....


Back at the beginning of November printmaker Sherrie York posted here about how she was going to return to a challenge of drawing 100 thumbnails in the month. What a challenge I thought to myself. I had read the post mid month and thought to myself I would give it a go myself with the aim of making it to 50. I have been a little undisciplined of late with my drawing practise and thought the challenge would give me the kick up the proverbial that I needed....

However 50 was a little ambitious I think at this time of year for me and I only managed 30 even though the maximum time I had spent on them was two minutes! How shameful - that's only an hours worth of drawing that I managed after all ;o)  I will do better this month (I hope) it's a nice challenge to get the juices flowing and a couple of these little scribbles might be the start of something in the future who knows...

Sherrie has posted a wonderful video of her Hundred which you can see here . I have to say they are amazing and show just what a skilled draughtswoman she is. Pop over and have a look. Now where is that sketchbook....


30 thumbnails for November   pencil on paper each one 5x5cm approx   ©2019LisaLeQuelenec

9 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Your thumbnails are magical, Lisa. You set a very ambitious goal for yourself. An hour of your time is better than none:)
And thank you for the link to Sherrie's blog. I watched the video. Okay, I'm impressed!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You are an inspiration!
Thank you for the link
I'm going to dig out a sketchbook, and try the 30 in 30 days, starting today.

Debbie Nolan said...

Lisa - what a superb idea. When I visited Salty Pumpkin she mentioned this project. Wonderful idea and I am going to give it a try in the coming new year. Thanks too for the link...will visit Sherrie York. Have a super weekend. Hugs!

Judy said...

What a challenge! I think you did great!

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi there Lisa,

Good for you for taking the challenge. Trying is a step forward... to a more realistic setting of your goals. Time is always a factor that can't always be factored into the equation. Now... you have a base marker to set sail for the next time. Try to overshoot that first... ACHIEVEMENT!!!

Good luck! Check out my newest blog posting. It's sent especially with you in mind. I so admire your spirit...and skill set!

Warm,est regards,
Bruce

Caroline Simmill said...

But at least you did it! you have created 30 fine wee drawings that to me are a journal of the days during the month. Well done Lisa!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Chris, so glad you enjoyed the visit to Sherrie's blog. I love reading along with her linoprints too. She is a great writer aswell as artist. Slow progress for me this month with the thumbnails and school breaks up tomorrow eeek! I think little man might be given a sketchbook to take up the challenge too ;o)

Hi Maywyn how are you getting on? I would love to see.

Hi Debbie, hope you enjoyed the visit. Best wishes.

Thank you Judy :o) It's surprisingly hard to catch up when you lose a couple of days worth...

Hi Bruce, thank you for your encouragement as always. Onwards and upwards ;o) I will be popping over very soon. Best wishes.

Hi Caroline, it does feel a little like a journal you are right. They feel like little seeds that planted in Winter might blossom into something in Spring.... Best wishes, it is lovely to see you posting again.

laura said...

What a great challenge. I have only recently started making thumbnails for my landscapes and like the idea of their having some value on their own. Yours are works of art. Beautifully minimal.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Laura, yes it really is a challenge! Just doing one or two a day I have found tricky. I think I might start again and have another go soon - maybe just one a day for a month and see how I get on. Time seems to run away with me these days. Drawing is so important to me but I either seem to do lots or hardly any at all with no inbetween :o) It feels like a school report -must try harder!