Thursday 2 September 2010

Exploring sand ripples

An element that I return to often in my work is the ripple patterns made in sand by the sea and wind. I like the repetitiveness and graduation in scale that can give my beachscapes a sense of huge depth. Here is one of the first paintings I did of sand ripples from a few years back, it's of Chapel Rock in Perranporth, Cornwall one of my favourite spots. I kept this as it was a bit of a turning point painting for me although I might put it into the next Hayloft Exhibition. It might be time to send it out into the world.

Chapel Path
24x34cm acrylic on paper


For the new paintings I wanted the sand patterns to be more of a primary element in their own right. After making sketches to establish the light direction and shadows and a test piece using texture paste I began the first painting of what I think will be a new series. I love using acrylic mediums and have a few texture mediums that I like to use. I like the grittiness of sand and flint mediums and don't get me started on glaze medium - I go through gallons of that stuff! I love to slowly build up sheer glazes of juicy colour that glow. Colour seems to vibrate when it's built up this way rather than just mixing on the palette.



(as yet untitled)
18x28cm acrylic on paper

For the next painting I wanted to show more of a recession in the size and formation of the ripples.



(as yet untitled)
18x28cm acrylic on paper

Can you help? Title ideas, gratefully received - at the moment I'm stumped what to call them.

No comments: