Tuesday 21 September 2010

Storms in my sketchbook


Memory sketches of storms in pencil, watercolour and watercolour pencil

Whilst stewarding at the exhibition yesterday I was thinking about storms. (Quite strange really as the weather was beautifully sunny and warm.) I've got a yearning to paint a thunder storm over the sea, I can see the colours in my mind dramatic and bruise like. It may need to be a series, the light before, during and after a storm is so different. I will need to gather some reference sketches. If you are out on a cliff top and a storm is brewing, you rush into a cafe to take shelter from the rain and you see someone sketching the wild weather be sure to say hi. It would be great to meet you.

4 comments:

vivien said...

great sketches and it would make a wonderful series - 'bad' weather can be so much more interesting to paint

and the books issue - oh yes! far too many here even though I've been trying to thin them out and send some to charity shops

Sherrie York said...

Wild weather sketching! Hoorah! I once went out in a fierce east coast gale... rain so hard I couldn't even see straight or get my "waterproof" sketchbook out of my pocket. But I'll never forget the moment...

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Vivian, thank you for stopping by. I can't wait to see the next one in your series.

Sherrie, 'waterproof' sketchbook? I must investigate, it sounds like it could be most useful. How are the 100 thumbnails going? I might join you on this challenge next month. Any excuse for a new sketchbook....

Jazz said...

love these weather sketches, lisa - i too have a thing about sketching stormy-looking skies but seen over the sea is even better... good luck and stay warm!