Monday 25 October 2010

An autumnal evening


Autumnal Evening
26x26cm acrylic on paper
© 2010 Lisa Le Quelenec

A change of direction in more ways than one. Instead of walking at the beach this weekend I literally had a change of direction and went for a walk by the river instead. I'm really glad I did. The last time I went there was way back in the summer and after the first frosts this week that seems like quite a while ago. Everywhere I looked there were paintings crying out to be painted, I think this could be a new project. (Why do I get these ideas as the weather gets colder and wetter?)

The above is my first painting inspired by that walk. It was really nice to have a change of palette and I enjoyed painting the teasels. I've included a couple of close up shots so that you can see more of the mark making that I've used. Sometimes it's hard to tell when you see the whole picture but I use a lot of scumbling and dry brush techniques as well as glazing colour. Way back when, on my foundation course we spent a whole term just exploring mark making and it was a whole lot of fun. I think I would like to explore this more again and a new project would be the perfect opportunity. With a series about the river there would be a whole new world of reflections and slower moving water to explore and also a new vocabulary to learn.



2 comments:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

There is one thing l've grown to love in your paintings.......The Sky. The depth and colour, it's quite remarkable.
And, l love to coast, the sea, the fresh air, would'nt live anywhere else. Love it to bits...!
You should go to Sicily to paint...
Wow.....! Oh! Dear, where are those tissues....I'm back home again..Ciao..Ciao... :0)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Willie, you're very kind.