Monday 10 January 2011

The Risk to Bloom

 My first completed daffodil painting of the year, I'm sure there will be more to come. I'm hoping I'm not tempting fate with this painting's title (thank you Willie for the quote). Yesterday was beautiful blue skies and sunshine. Walking at the river and the trees were showing buds and a few new leaves were tentively thinking about unfurling amongst the dead foliage.

I've looked back at some older paintings that I've done over the years and I'm pleased to see improvement in this subject. I see these paintings as a kind of bench mark to check my progress as painter. I've spent a lot of time over the last year working on my use of tone within a painting and this year I want to get more of a handle on colour. Next years daffodil paintings will show how far I'll have come along in that respect. Do you return to a subject to use as a benchmark in this respect? I've heard that some painter's do an annual self portrait for these ends.

The Risk to Bloom
acrylic on paper 17x18.5cm
©2011 Lisa Le Quelenec

1 comment:

WILLIE...! =(^..^)= said...

Choice of words for this......
Fantastic....Terrific.....Wonderful..
BUT....My most favorite word of all, and when l use it, l mean it, it comes from the heart/soul.......This is......
LOVELY....!