Thursday 31 January 2019

Stripes from the Shoreline - every day in February 2019



The latest treasures collected from the shore ©2018LisaLeQuelenec





The inspiration for a project has come from a tiny page in a sketchbook that I shared in August 2017 (Time really does fly, I couldn't believe how long it had been when I checked back.) 




Stripes from the shore sketchbook page ©2017LisaLeQuelenec




The notes and small sketches on the A6 pages keep coming to mind as I walk along the beach and notice more and more ‘stripes’ not only in the little treasures that I pick up along the way but also in the actual beachscape itself. From bands of cloud, the bands of waves as they travel to shore and also in the groynes that protect the space from erosion. The more I notice, the more I feel that I need to make some work exploring these patterns. Not only the horizontals but also importantly the verticals that I find in the landscape. 





Stripes from the shoreline   ©2019LisaLeQuelenec





When I look back at my work over the last couple of years, I feel that I can see this motif emerging subconsciously more and more. Now I feel that it is time to recognise it more fully – to name it so to speak. I also have a hankering for making some work in a more abstract kind of manner. I have no sense of how these ideas could develop and feel open to possibilities so I have decided to make a mini project for the month of February a small collage a day to try out and maybe consolidate some ideas.

 
The 'palette'  ©2019LisaLeQuelenec
 
I work better when I have limitations so I have set some boundaries for myself to hopefully achieve a considered approach;
  
Each piece will have a base layer measuring 6.5x6.5cm (2.5x2.5 inch) square.

         Each piece may or may not have elements that break this boundary.   

      The palette will be a range of aqua, grey, white and cream opaque and semi-transparent papers that have been pre-painted or printed.

 Attention will be paid to the weight, balance, tension, edges, tone and texture. 

I may spend no more or less than 30 mins on each piece.   

In the interests of a cohesive body of work each piece will be mounted      onto a white textured backing paper measuring 15x20.5cm (6x8 inch).





I feel quite excited by the project idea. There are so many rabbit holes that I could wander down and the difficulty will be focussing on only one aspect a day. I am hoping to see a progression of ideas that evolve over the four-week period. Intentionally I am going to make an abstract piece as a starting point in the hope that I can brush aside any preconceived ideas – I wonder what will develop…. Tomorrow I will begin.


3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Good luck Lisa, I wish you lots of creative ideas!

Judy said...

You are so lucky to find these treasures in your environment! And the landscape collage shows where your inspiration comes from, such soft colours! Exciting new project, good luck!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Marjorie, thank you. I need to get the creative juices flowing I think this might kick start me. Here's hoping.

Hi Judy, I really am very lucky to live here. There is so much to be inspired by and every day there is something new on a beach isn't there... I'm looking forward to seeing where this project takes me.