Friday 8 February 2019

Stripes on the shoreline no.8



Stripes from the shoreline no.1   paper collage mounted on paper 15x20.5cm   ©2019Lisa Le Quelenec



Gentle and relentless waves coming into the shore slowly but surely wearing away at the posts of the groynes.


The groynes here seem permanently being renewed and replaced. We have a long stretch of beach here (around ten miles I believe from Sandbanks in Poole to Hengistbury Head in Bournemouth). I like to look at the old worn wood before it is collected covered in barnacles and limpets, with its beautiful salty, sea breeze scent. It is quite a process to watch as the sand is moved to make way for removing the old goyne and the huge drill comes to bore down for the new posts. I found this old photo from 2006 with the job part done and the sea mockingly encroaching into the ditch. Without the continuation of this work there would be no sand left as it would be washed quickly away.



This collage is available at Folksy.


4 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lisa,
Your collage achieves a feel of the sea, very nice. I like the way you take nature and translate it into art. Your work is helpful to me as an artist dealing art translation issues.

Chris Lally said...

A welcome addition to your lovely series, Lisa!
"Groynes" - being a city girl, I had to look that one up. Love the older photo and your commentary :)

RH Carpenter said...

Another winner! I am loving this series. I love the seaside in all it's seasons and envy anyone who can live near the sea permanently, but it is a struggle to keep the sand on the beach and not washed away. We spell groynes with an I = groins, but I knew what you meant. Man's wish to keep the sea and sand constant, and mother natures changing ways :)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Maywyn, thank you. It's tricky isn't it trying to decide how much to show and tell and how much to leave to the viewer I find. I seem to start from as simple as possible and build from there hoping I find the balance on the way. The hard part is always knowing when to stop.

Hi Chris, the series is growing and I'm making more connections. Past, present and things to look for in the future. Lots of food for thought as I work. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Thank you Rhonda. Mother nature is definately changing her goal posts on these beaches. The wind as well as the sea can change it's appearance overnight. You can never be sure what you will find next. There have been a few surprises the last few years; huge barrel jellyfish, WWII mines have even washed up. (I wouldn't like to come across one of those at close quarters.) Funny how different US english and english english is sometimes I often find myself googling to find things out especially for recipes. Keeps us on our toes :o)