Thursday 3 February 2022

A week of sketching - sea and skyscapes in ink

 

 

Beach sketch ink 8x15cm ©2022LisaLeQuelenec

 

I have been sketching lots this week, an A5 sketchbook in a few days! Simple, immediate, preconceived, responsive, sloshy (technical term) and fun. I have found variation in repetition, something that seems bound in and an important part of my process. Lots of ideas are flowing finally after what has been a very unusually slow start to the year for me. Rather than jumping straight in I am cogitating, percolating and pondering and will start some experiments this week. Meanwhile here are some of the highlights (to me anyway) maybe not the most technical but the ones I see having the most potential....


Beach sketches ink 8x15cm ©2022LisaLeQuelenec


Beach sketches ink 8x15cm ©2022LisaLeQuelenec


After making the image above I squished (again another technical term - I am full of them) it to make the sketches squares which Is how I usually work. This has changed them so much it feels like I have double the references to work from. Some work better, some less so....more pondering I think.


Beach sketches ink as squares ©2022LisaLeQuelenec



3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Lisa these all hold wonderful charm. The use of ink against the gray makes these feel so much like winter and perfect to work on this time of the year. Take care and have a great day. Hope if you try those apples you find them to be to your liking. Hugs!

RH Carpenter said...

Wow, you have been busy with ideas and visions of paintings to come. Love how you put them all together as 8 x 10 size and then again as squares - it made a difference in all of them. Again, all I can say is Wow and I’m amazed that, after a slow start, your water muse has returned with so many ideas and designs :). We are snowed in now after suffering through sleet and freezing rain all day yesterday - it never stopped!! Neighbors would get out, shovel and clean off driveways and walkways only to have them ice up again with a slushy ice every 1-2 hours and have to do it again. Now it’s turned to snow and we’ll see what that brings in terms of inches of snow on the ground once it’s over. Winter. There is beauty in winter but it’s too cold to get out in it and dangerous with the ice underneath.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Debbie, thank you so much. Oh, and the apples were delicious!

Hi Rhonda, I hope cabin fever hasn't set in. It must be doubly hard with your injured ankle to negotiate. We hardly ever get weather so cold here but I do remember with a shiver when the 'Beast from the East' visited and we didn't go out for a few days - just made snowmen in the garden. We just aren't set up for such cold conditions here. I am working so much more quickly that I think I am definitely catching up now. Ideas and ink are flowing! Paint next I think.... Best wishes.