Thursday 6 January 2011

A splash of yellow and sketching

 



















Daffodils! I love them - but they are also my nemesis. I love the structure, colour, the thoughts that spring is just around the corner and the winter is coming to an end that they inspire. They are my nemesis because every year I try to paint them and every year it all goes horribly wrong! I have a dedicated sketchbook for daffodils that has been added to over a number of years, (here's a link to my flickr account showing a few of the pages). One of the problems I have is the conundrum of painting delicate yellows whilst still getting enough tonal variation to show the form. I've tried all sorts of colour combinations and mixes using blues and violets, oranges and hot pinks to make the shadow colours but I never seem to get it quite right. Every year I think this will be the year that I will crack it. 2011 is definitely the one.

Above is a photo of some daffodils I got yesterday - with my favourite little jug - behind is a piece of hand painted silk. I think this will be one of the colour combinations that I will try this year. Today has been spent drawing them and tomorrow I will start the a painting. It makes my heart glad to see these cheerful flowers I hope they brighten your day.

2 comments:

daviddrawsandpaints said...

I too find daffodils the the most joyful and admirable flowers (admirable because they stick their heads out when the wind would cut it off with a knife!) but have also never managed to paint them ever to my satisfaction.
What a nice idea keeping a special daffodil journal/sketchbook.
This photo is wonderful - the composition and the stunning colour.
Good luck in painting them, and good luck for all your painting endeavours this new year!
DAVID

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you David, after a slow start to the year I think I'm starting to get back into it. I've certainly got lots of ideas to be working on.

I hope your painting is going well, I look forward to your next post.