Monday 5 March 2012

From behind the cloud...


From Behind the Cloud
acrylic on canvas board 20x20cm
©2012 Lisa Le Quelenec

I find the way shafts of light illuminate the sea endlessly fascinating and incredibly difficult to paint. I think this painting is the closest yet, it has been a couple of months in the making (and endless hours at the beach just watching and observing, trying to memorise and sketching). Small adjustments lightening an area here, darkening there, hints of colour, adjusting, readjusting. It's been an interesting and frustrating challenge.

This is the first painting that I am putting aside for an exhibition in June. It happened last year and it's going to be the same this year too.... four exhibitions during a six week period. It will be a busy time leading up to it. Good job that I love to be busy :o)

It feels apt that I am posting it today after the heavy rain yesterday which ended in really contrasting bright sunshine and heavy cloud. I didn't make it to the beach but I'm sure it must have looked like this late afternoon.

2 comments:

Egle said...

The painting is gorgeous! Your painting manner reminds me of one of the most famous painter in my country M.K. Ciurlionis, I really love it.
Good luck in the exhibition:)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Morning Egle, thank you very much. I'm not familiar with this artist's work so am off to Google now. Best wishes.