Monday 15 October 2018

A gloomy day and a good book




It is dark, gloomy and decidedly cooler today. Perfect for curling up with a book. This is my latest aquisition;

The Secret Lives of Colour by Kassia St Clair 
ISBN 9781473630819 hardback
ISBN 97814730630826 ebook

I have only dipped into it so far - it is that kind of book (you don't have to read it in any particular order). The history/story of 75 colours are discussed individually. There are chapters on the science, politics and language of colour. At the end there is a glossary of other 'interesting colours'. I rather hope that this may mean a second volume may be in the future. I am enjoying her writing style and will keep this book for the gloomy days to come as something to look forward to it will chase the dull greys away.

The Golden Thread: How Fabric Changed History 
ISBN 9781473659032 has just been released and also sounds like an interesting read.

Anyway that is me set for today, hot coffee, a great book .... maybe a jammy dodger or two ;o) What are you reading at the moment?


6 comments:

Judy said...

Both titles sound very intriguing. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to find these books. Have a good reading day!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Lisa - looks like you are doing what I did last week when the weather turned cool and gloomy. Books are wonderful friends when the blues set in. Take care friend...Lets hope we see some sunshine again soon. Hugs! Thanks too for visiting me.

Chris Lally said...

The Secret Lives of Colour does sound like the perfect book for a gloomy day, Lisa. Books on fabric / textiles interest me, too. Thanks for mentioning them.

To answer your question, I am currently devouring a variety of cookbooks. I actually love reading them. The change in the weather has inspired me to pull out the slow cooker & hunt for some new crockpot recipes to warm the tummy and scent the house.

And what is a "jammy dodger?" :)

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Judy, I hope you enjoy them.

Hi Debbie, it's funny after I hit publish and started visiting everyone's blogs it seemed quite a few of us had the same idea. You could spot the northern hemisphere bloggers quite easily. I look forward to the winter sun and sharp frosts. The greys can get wearisome after the novelty of cozy cuppas and reading wears off. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Hi Chris, yum I might have to visit. I'm hankering for the rib sticking food too - something a spoon will stand up in. Oh and a 'jammy dodger' is a cookie with two thin pieces of shortbread stuck together with a blob of jam. Maybe similar to a white Oreo? I think they must be a British thing - they are jolly yummy :o)

loriann signori said...

Hi Lisa!
I have read The Secret Lives of Color. The title alone made the book ripe for reading. Enjoyed learning all the stories. I'll check out the other book. Thanks!

Loriann

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

It's a good one isn't. Just right for dark chilly evenings.