Thursday 18 October 2018

Just walking the dog


Wet sand, reflections and silhouettes fill my mind and sketchbooks at the moment. They are inspiring a new mini project. I watched an interview on Youtube with Fred Cuming one of my all time favourite artists which is where the quote in my sketchbook has come from. He said;




'I might be the only person in miles of open space.
It provides me with endlessly fascinating problems
of conveying something which is about nothing
more than emptiness.'

Fred Cuming


You can see more of his work here.




Sketchbook page   watercolour and pencil   ©2018LisaLeQuelenec



He sums up so eloquently what I am trying to achieve. Light, space, solitude and quiet. I often think of my sea and sky paintings as 'the big empties' and this feels an extension of that work. Maybe the addition of a figure exaggerates that notion. Time to explore...




Sketchbook page   pencil on monoprint    ©LisaLeQuelenec



5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

This is a very interesting path for your artwork. You’ve taken the big empties of your sky and sand and sea and placed a human and an animal in there - but so small that we sense how small we really are compared to nature around us. How appropriate a time for this when the US has just gotten hit with another horrific hurricane that has made kindling of all the million dollar homes on the beach front. We were now made to remain here, but the earth, the sand, the sea, the sky will remain after we are long gone. Beautiful work so far and can’t wait to see what you do with these musings. Now off to learn about the quoted artist :)

Judy said...

You captured so well the vast space of sea and sky! Love it! Have fun exploring!

Chris Lally said...

Stopped by yesterday morning, but I did not have time to comment.
The Fred Cuming video was incredible! I understand why he is one of your favorites - his aesthetic, his attitude, his story. It is incredible that he has been painting for 60years! Reminds me of my mentor. He seems like a very wise, lovely man.
Your mini-project sounds exciting! It is obvious you are at the right place, the Dorset coast, at this time in your life because you find the "big empties" so captivating. Your love of the sea is always reflected in your elegant work, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it in this sensitive series.
Great start, Lisa!

Debbie Nolan said...

Lisa I will be checking out Fred's video. I like the idea of vast spaces. Sometimes just sky and sea doesn't need anything more.
I always love the peaceful vision you bring to your work friend. It speaks to my soul. Hope you have a lovely day. Hugs!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Rhonda, We really are small insignificant to the recent weather that has been going on around the world aren't we. So much devastation all over at the moment it seems that has been making headlines and bringing misery to people. I can't imagine what it must feel like to lose everything and have to start over. I am very aware where I live on the coast at the constant tranformation it is going through due to errosion and the damage that we are inflicting literally and indirectly.

Thank you Judy.

Hi Chris, so glad you enjoyed 'meeting' Fred. I could listen to him for hours and would love to have a chat to him though I am sure I would be starstruck and only manage to squeak ;o)

Wow! Thank you so much Debbie! I hope your week is going well.