Friday 24 February 2023

Swooping and circling - gull sketchbook page and monoprint


If you spend any time at the shore you will find yourself watching the gulls swooping, circling, gliding and diving. I feel I may just have some gull in my genes as I circle back to them in my work again and again. I am mulling over how to approach it this time around.



Sketchbook page - gull studies ©LisaLeQuelenec


Old sketchbook pages - looking back and moving forward - looking at shapes and trying ideas. At the end of a project I store all my reference materials, sketchbooks and experiments and notes in a folder. I often return to subjects when something new catches my eye or an idea for combinations or new connections are made. Sometimes just revisiting a folder strikes up new ideas on its own. It is good to have all the visual stimulus in one place waiting to be plundered again. 


 I think some monoprinting may be in order to think in ink.



Gliding   13x13cm monoprint   ©2023LisaLeQuelenec   


This monoprint is available in my Folksy store.




3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Lisa thank you for sharing your lovely sketches. It is always such a delight to see your art and I adore your monoprint of the gull. So lovely. P.S. Stop by anytime and have a bowl of soup and some cornbread. You might have to share it with a couple of pooches but I know you won't mind. Hugs!

Judy said...

Beautiful sketches!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Debbie - wouldn't it be lovely? If only their wasn't an ocean between us... I'm having so much fun with ink at the moment, there's more to come. Best wishes for a creative week.


Thank you so much Judy! I'm really enjoying your snowdrops at the moment, they are wonderful.