Thursday 18 April 2024

Flow monoprint and mixed media


With the Easter holidays over and my son back at school I have been getting busy reopening my Etsy Store. Amongst the new works available are pieces from this pebble project including the three pieces below. 



Flow I   21x30cm mono and mixed media   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec


These pieces have proved so difficult to photograph. I have tried so many backgrounds and on so many days with differing light but I think this is the closest I am going to get. In reality the backing paper of the prints are a couple of shades warmer but the pebble shapes are accurate on my screen. These are a mixture of print, collage and drawing on A4 Lokta paper.




Flow II   21x30cm mono and mixed media   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec



Flow III   21x30cm mono and mixed media   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec



Tracing sunshine reflected from my mug - a timed drawing   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec


From the photographs above you can see where some of the inspiration for the drawing came from. The sun was shining brightly (briefly) through the window and reflecting on a mug of pencils on to the desk top. I traced the reflections onto a scrap of paper then about 30 mins later as the sun had moved slightly and when it reappeared I traced again. I would have kept going but the sky clouded over and the rain came. I will set up another drawing on another sunny day and trace the sun's progress across the sky in it's reflections, It might be an interesting experiment and result in some interesting distortions.



5 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your lovely artwork is always a pleasure to see.
The tracing sunshine project looks like fun. I think a shell will cast an interesting light to follow.

RH Carpenter said...

You are going to think I am being overly kind or sensitive or something but these prints/paintings/drawings are so perfect. I looked at them and thought, what makes that so…the composition, yes, the placement of each element, the light and dark. I am in awe as I know I could never never come up with something like this that is so soothing and yet so exciting to see. Wow! I mean, just Wow!
And the idea that tracing the light reflected from your cup…how cool is that?? A fresh and interesting idea that will lead to many more perfections, too.

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Maywyn. I will definitely have to try cast shell shadows when the sun deigns to return...it's quite gloomy at the moment...sigh...;o) Wishing you a peaceful and creative week.


Oh Rhonda! Thank you so much, your words mean a lot. I am so glad that you are enjoying them. I keep thinking of ways the project can evolve so there will probably (hopefully) be more to come. I fancy making another concertina book....like a walk along the shore or through time....the idea is percolating and just out of my grasp at the moment. Best wishes.

Debbie Nolan said...

Wow Lisa what a great idea for seeing light and shadows. I need to give this a try because I tend to ignore or struggle with getting the light correct in my pieces which tends to make things look flat instead of three dimensional. Thanks for sharing this experiment. Hugs

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Hi Debbie, it was really fun to observe how scale and shape changed as the sun travelled. I am eyeing up different things to try next when the sun comes out....anything reflective - I may be a magpie.