Thursday 24 October 2024

A new print edition in the making...Silence & Snow

 

I have had an image whirling around in my minds eye, a seed that has started to grow for a while. There is a very early version, more of a sketch at the time from some years back that I have always had on my list to explore further. Recently I have decided to just get on with it - enough with the procrastination.



Starting to carve Silence & Snow....©2024LisaLeQuelenec



Below is the scribbly sketch of the idea.... you can see the folds in the paper that gave me guidelines for the composition using the rule of thirds. I am very much inspired by Japanese woodblock prints, the style and minimalism, and although that doesn't show at all in the sketch I think it will be obvious in the prints.



Thumbnail for Silence & Snow



Before printing the carved block I printed an uncarved block to give a base colour using very thin ink. For the initial prints I don't want to show any of the white paper - I'm sure this will change as I explore further and experiment with different colours and tones. My thinking is to create different versions using colour, extra elements and possibly adding tissue paper chine colle at some point. I would like to evoke the magical gloaming as night falls, hazy, misty and frosty nights, possibly a few prints inspired by the recent Northern Lights displays, then maybe warmer winter sunshine. Can I do all of these with one image? I want to experiment to find out, I haven't done this using this technique before nor on this scale which is somewhat larger that I have done before in print.



printing a base layer ©2024LisaLeQuelenec



This is one of the first prints with the second layer added. I felt like something was missing and out of balance - I wasn't getting the depth that I could see in my mind...




Second layer of Silence & Snow ©2024LisaLeQuelenec




Testing a third block addition ©2024LisaLeQuelenec




Using a small piece of the soft carve lino I cut a third mini block of tree silhouettes to add to the right of the composition. This gave much more depth and balance, now to experiment.





Variations of Silence & Snow drying ©2024LisaLeQuelenec





This is one of the first prints that I felt happy with. I like the looming distant trees and the frosty haze that is lighting up the sky as it descends. I have printed on my usual bright white paper but it didn't feel right with the warmer blues so I have ripped the edges of the prints up to the image margins and mounted them on a warmer off white paper for the warmer blues and a softer white for the cooler ones. I think if I continue to do this it will give some continuity to all the prints in the series despite some big variations in colour and other additions. It will also add some opportunity to contrast a different texture with the backing paper that will show when it is framed.





Silence & Snow  open varied edition lino print  image 20x29cm approx   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec







Silence & Snow  open varied edition lino print  image 20x25cm approx   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec




Cropping changes the composition and feel of the image, I might go back into the square versions and add additional tree silhouettes in between.




Silence & Snow  open varied edition lino print  image 20x20cm approx   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec




I have just a few prints that I am happy with so far and will add to both my Folksy and Etsy stores. In addition I will put a version on RedBubble as I think it will work well as a holiday card.

Any way this has very much kept me out of mischief, what do you think?



2 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Lisa - what depth and beauty in just a simple winter scene. These are gorgeous. Since I have never worked with lino prints I am certainly intrigued with the process. Thanks too for visiting us at Harmony Hills. Gunnar is growing fast so will have to keep posting photos of him from time to time. :)!! Hugs

RH Carpenter said...

What do I think? I think you are amazing! My thought of the first print was positive without the added trees because I could “see” more trees as misty, snow-covered shapes behind the larger elements due to the way the paper printed (as if it deposited or lifted color back to white in the background). But I enjoyed hearing the process and how you worked through what you wanted to do and am looking forward to more - can’t wait to see the Northern Lights versions!