Thursday 23 June 2022

Mussels from Knoll Bay sketchbook page and acrylic painting



Mussels from Knoll Bay   watercolour A6 sketchbook   ©2022 Lisa Le Quelenec



An old sketchbook page from 2016.... I was really drawn to the shapes left by the barnacles on the top shell and the unusual strip markings on the lower. I have gathered shells like these from Shell Bay to Barton-on-sea and they are quite different as you move along the coast but I had never seen a striped one like this before. The shell above shows scars in it's surface from barnacles.

skip to 2022 and a new mini painting.... available in my Folksy Store.




Mussel shell with Barnacles   acrylic on linen board 10x10cm   ©2022LisaLeQuelenec





These shells were collected between 2016 -2018 in Spring ....



These shells were collected between 2020 in Spring ....



Both sets were collected at the same beach. The difference is quite marked in their colouring with this years being much paler and also shimmery. I can't think of any reason except maybe different pollution levels being a possibility to cause this. Does anyone know? Or have any ideas? I am going to make a note to go to the same beach next Spring and see if there is any difference again. It is puzzling me...



2 comments:

laura said...

I love your work, and your approach to it. Now I am curious about shells' coloration too!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thank you Laura. It is definitely curious...the only thing I can really think of is a change in pollution levels - maybe from watercraft that weren't in use so much over lockdown periods. We haven't had any unusually bad storms that might have churned up the water and sand to erode the shells surfaces that I can think of. I think it may just be one of natures little mysteries sent for me to ponder :o) Best wishes for a creative week.