Thursday 11 January 2024

Broken But Still Beautiful I - mixed media drawing

 




Broken But Still Beautiful I   mixed media drawing 30x21cm   ©2024LisaLeQuelenec

The end of 2023 passed - I'm not sure where or how - and here we are already the 11th! Armed with new plans for work and hopefully more self discipline blog-wise than I have shown last year I will be here more regularly.


To begin the year a resolution to myself to make more time for drawing. Drawing is another area that I have neglected recently and should be one of the first signs to myself that things are going askew. Life is much better with drawing in it. The act of slowing down and looking is undervalued I think. I am a little rusty but have made a start.


I plan to make one drawing each month this year on the theme of 'Broken But Still Beautiful'. (There may be more than 12 but I want at least 12 by the end of the year.) To start off the project this beautiful whelk shell that I picked up in Norfolk last summer. I have a lovely collection of broken whelks and the project may well be a series from these resources. I obsess over the beautiful internal twisting wave-like spiral of the columella. Even the sound of the word 'columella' I find beautiful. When I look at broken whelks I see a Barbara Hepworth or Henry Moore sculpture - a reclining figure - large scale and monumental. I have no end in mind for these drawings except to enjoy the process and get lost in the shapes, contours and textures. Lets see how I get on....


4 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Lisa your drawing skills are absolutely superb. I adore your shell or whelk. I think this is going to be a truly lovely series and am looking forward to your drawings. Like you I am sketching regularly. You are so right - life is much better when one takes time to draw. Hope 2024 sees you with much joy. Hugs from your friend across the Pond!!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Happy new year Debbie, all my best wishes to you and yours. Thank you so much about the drawing. I'm falling back in love with drawing at the moment and all the different ways to draw. It seems to pull scales from my eyes and I see things afresh. Looking forward to seeing your sketches too, I hope you will share on your blog. See you soon....

laura said...

Such a beautiful, sensitive drawing! Shells are hard to draw well imo!

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

Thanks Laura, I have pinned it to my board by my desk and I am glaring at all the inaccuracies in it. I will do better next time! ;o) they are so challenging.